Saturday, October 09, 2004

CVS on USB Flashdisk

I recently got a sandisk 128MB USB flash disk and I've decided to use it as my CVS repository (or arch, I'm looking into that, or svn, I'll look into that after I look at arch). I shuttle between multiple sites, and they're not all on the internet. Some of them are completely firewalled off from the world.

I don't share the repository with anyone, so there's no problem keeping it in usb. Of course that wouldn't work well for a team. But for me, well, I just like having all my code, editing history, and releases in a repository, so a USB disk is fine as a repository.

The only thing I'm worried about is the write cycle. Need to research on that. Some flash memories are supposed to have only a limited number of write cycles and beyond that limit it's not possible to write to the device anymore.

-- flash -- I decided on svn. I didn't like the arch interface (actually, I couldn't understand it, it's probably easy, I just didn't give it enough of a chance). I really like svn though. Performance isn't that great, but then my code base isn't that huge and svn has features that have been missing in cvs forever (file and directory rename, move, etc).

No comments: