Sunday, March 05, 2006

Work hard, crash

I've been working very hard for about six months now, since I took over management of the development team at work. Previously I'd been a consultant, project based. That was fun. Lots of work, but no management responsibilities.

The company insisted on hiring me on though and after some resistance, I accepted. Things are still fun, particularly when i get to code, but there's too damn much coordination and meeting. All very necessary, but it sure reduces time available for programming.

After six months of this though, reality catches up. I got a very bad sore throat some other stress related infections and just general weakness (due to the combined infections, probably). This happens to me, once in a while. After a sustained period of late nights, not enough sleep, stress, my body crashes for a short period. If I don't get enough of a break, my mind snaps too and I quit ;-). Not going to happen with this job, but it's sure happened before.

Five days of rest have made for an improvement. Not enough though, still going to be weak tomorrow. Damn. I'll rest again on Wednesday.

No comments: