Sunday, December 03, 2006

15-20 minutes

Bill Gates took 90 minutes to solve Petals on the Rose, I took a bit less. I doubt if I'm smarter. For one thing, I don't have the memory to do the memorizing trick he did to partly solve it early on. I also had the advantage of not having to wait for the next roll. I just read through the article, looking at the rolls and the answers.

The name of the game also helps. And I think maybe I might have seen the story (or the game) before. Maybe in Scientific American or something similar, related to or discussing Godel, Escher, Bach.

Actually, I didn't time myself. I might have taken less than 15 minutes (that's about my threshold for puzzles, if something takes longer to solve than that, then I need to be paid to pay attention). But it certainly wasn't less than 5 minutes.

No comments: