Friday, March 09, 2007

in-place upgrade successful but bumpy

I did the in-place upgrade to Edgy and it was mostly successful. I got stuck on one thing though. It seems to be a common bug with upgrade-in-place from Dapper to Edgy. A quick google search finds this:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/64615
http://www.nabble.com/Removing-a-Broken-Package-(courier-authdaemon)-t3331317.html

I only just found those links after I'd fixed the thing though. The fixes suggested there are too scary for me since I'm not an experienced debian user. Instead, I followed the hack that mhulboj suggested at this blog post

He noticed that the courier-authdaemon un-install script was trying to first stop the daemon and that it was getting stuck on the fact that /usr/sbin/courierlogger didn't exist anymore (probably a package dependency thing, something else removed courierlogger, could be fixed in the package by first checking if courierlogger even exists before removing it).

Anyway, the fix was:

sudo touch /usr/sbin/courierlogger
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/sbin/courierlogger

and continue with

dpkg --configure -a
apt-get remove courier-authdaemon

which successfully removed the package. I'm now continuing with the update in place (re-downloading a lot of packages since I also misunderstood something and did an aptitude autoclean :-).

No comments: