Friday, August 17, 2007

gmail smtp requires TLS

I use evolution at work (none of that Outlook creationism for me) and, on my laptop too. At work I was confused because I couldn't send email through smtp.gmail.com. I thought it was just work firewall rules. It wasn't though. Formerly, I could send from my *@gmail.com addresses using the company SMTP server. Then the SMTP server was reconfigured to be tighter and to require authentication. I couldn't send mail with a From: of bopolissimus@gmail.com anymore. I tried to set up SMTP+SSL to smtp.gmail.com. And then I wondered for a long time why that was failing.

Well, it's because I'm too lazy to read the damn manual.

It says so right on gmail (i.e., mail.google.com), SMTP requires TLS. It's POP3 that requires SSL. If I cared more about the asymmetry there I'd wonder why they aren't both TLS or SSL. But no, I'm too busy with other work to care about that just now :-). I'm just glad I can send mail out again without having to log into the web based gmail client. That's a great client (I was testing out mail.yahoo.com yesterday and that site is ridiculously slow on my ridiculously slow 800Mhz workstation :-), but I do prefer to have everything in one place, retreating to the web based client only in emergency (which is never, actually, since if I can't check my mail on my laptop or my work desktop, then I just won't check mail. I'm too paranoid to check my mail at internet cafes since they all run windows.

No comments: