Thursday, September 06, 2007

Downloading OpenSolaris sucks

After a good email from David Meyer, on the PLUG mailing list I decided to download OpenSolaris and test it out on vmware.

I chose to use the Sun Download Manager last night. I'm not going to do that again. The download was chugging along slowly but steadily but today it stopped. And the Sun Download Manager has this clunky, unintuitive interface and apparently some weird logic in there so that only one file can download at a time and there's a maximum number of retries and then a file will never be downloadable again. Possibly the internet went up and down today and it hit the maximum 10 retries so it stopped trying to download. I changed the retries to 20 though (the maximum, why is there a maximum??? If I want to keep downloading forever on an expensive and slow GPRS link, why not let me do it?) and it STILL wouldn't download anymore.

When I got back this evening it was still downloading, but at 5kBps, when I can normally get up to 80-120kBps on my DSL connection at home, I wasn't going to wait 70 hours or whatever it predicted the wait time to be.

Since I couldn't make it work anymore, I just nuked the whole Sun Download Manager thing and am currently downloading the files via the browser. I'm downloading all three files at the same time and they're all coming down at 30-80kBps. That should get faster as the night deepens.

This sucks though. I should get better speeds from Sun microsystems. I'll keep trying to download, but the piece of crap that is the Sun download manager doesn't inspire any confidence in me. Likely OpenSolaris will be very good. It's a very mature piece of work. I'll see if I get comfortable with it. But my expectations aren't very high just now. I hope I'm disappointed in my expectations.

No comments: