Saturday, January 03, 2009

Toshiba Satellite A75-S231 bios password clearing

I've had a heck of a time trying to get a Toshiba Satellite A75-S231 working well with Linux. I first received this laptop (secondhand) around 2006, I think. I couldn't use it productively in Ubuntu (I think I might have checked some other distros, certainly I checked Knoppix too) back then. Whenever I would do something compute intensive it would shut down. It seems the kernel wasn't controlling the fans and it was overheating and the BIOS would turn it off.

I could sort of limp along and use it if I set the cpu scaling to its lowest speed. But that was still 1.8Ghz (no 800Mhz speeds on this CPU). And even at 1.8Ghz, if I did anything challenging that would use 100% cpu for a few minutes, it would shut down.

So I gave up. For a while I lent the laptop to someone who used XP on it, and after that it was stored in its laptop case for a year or so.

Well this year we moved to New Zealand, and since my sister-in-law was coming over, and I'd forgotten what the myriad issues with the laptop had been, I asked her to bring it with her.

I tried to install Solaris 10 on the ubuntu partition. That didn't end well. I'll try it again, but it looks like Solaris 10 probably doesn't know how to run the fans either. I then installed Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). That installed and it didn't hang. It looks like linux got the fan working sometime between Feisty (I think) and Intrepid.

I had another problem with the laptop. I had received it with the bios security password set and my brother, who gave me the laptop, didn't remember what the password was. Back when the laptop was shutting down due to power, I'd thought that if I could get into the CMOS setup, I could find a setting so that the fan would always run if it was on AC power. But first I had to get into the BIOS.

Well, this year, with Intrepid working on it, the urgency of getting into the BIOS receded. I still wanted to clear the passwords though. After a lot of searching, I finally found:

Toshiba Laptop password deletion

On page 8 that shows the jumper to short to clear the BIOS password. So finally I can get into the CMOS setup. As it happens, there's no "keep-the-fan-on-all-the-time" setting. As with many (all?) laptop BIOSes, it's pretty minimal. I can't even set how much RAM is shared by the video subsystem. It's good to finally be able to see what's in there though (and set the boot order of the drives, fortunately, previously the boot order had CD-DVD-Rom first, which allowed me to install Linux in the first place).

This laptop still has other problems. I've never liked how insensitive the Alps glidepoint touchpad is, and the keyboard is pretty weak (there's no right Ctrl key, and I always use right Ctrl instead of Left Ctrl, the ~` key is beside the space bar, which is stupid). But that's the case with all laptop keyboards anyway, compromises are made and they all suck. I can deal with the keyboard though, mostly. And if I can't stand it anymore, I've got a cheap external keyboard I can use with it. I still hate the touchpad, but some tweaking of gnome mouse settings has the mouse being tolerable. I'll probably still buy an external mouse and use that though. The laptop is big enough (and I'm switching to it because I like the widescreen) that it's really a desktop replacement. For travelling, we'll bring sol's much lighter (and still widescreen) HP Pavilion.

As long as I'm going to use an external keyboard/mouse, I'd love to have this Adesso keyboard with built-in touchpad (well, assuming the touchpad is any good, but it probably is, most touchpads are, the -one in the Satellite A75-S231 I've got is just bad, not sure if it's bad for all instances of that model, or if I've just got a dud). I can't find that keyboard in New Zealand though, and frankly, I won't spend that much for a keyboard+mouse. I'll just grab a cheap external mouse.

I'll keep my other laptop (a Durabook) for a spare. Or probably for Solaris (not that I need Solaris, but I might as well play with it and get familiar with it, I'm sure I'll use it since the big client my department does software development and management for is big on enterprise everything).

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, do you remember which jumper you short to clear CMOS in your A75? Unfortunately someone remove thread about it.

Unknown said...

Hi, do you remember which jumper you short to clear CMOS in your A75? Unfortunately someone remove thread about it.

Unknown said...

I just find "J1" jumper(CMOS is clear). Anyway, thanks.

Bopolissimus X Platypus said...

Sorry, no I don't. I remember approximately where, but I don't remember exactly which jumper. It was pretty dumb of me that I didn't even write down (in the blog post) what the label on the jumper was.

Someone else figured out my yahoo IM login and pointed out to me that the scribd link had been removed.

I don't much like any of the toshiba laptops I've used. I don't expect to buy a toshiba in the future. This one still sometimes overheats and shuts off. Ubuntu Intrepid's kernel seems to have much better support for heat control (or something), but it still doesn't work perfectly. I tried to install Solaris and that wouldn't even install since it overheats and crashes before the install completes :-).

I'm probably buying IBM, if I get another laptop. IBM driver support is much better than Toshiba's, and Toshiba seems to work pretty hard to not support non-windows operating systems.

Bopolissimus X Platypus said...

I see that midragius cleared J1 and it worked for him. Cool. In fact I don't know if it was J1 I shorted, so I don't recommend clearing J1 just on the basis of the posts here. IOW, if you do that, I didn't recommend it. If anything breaks, take it up with Midragius :-)

Alain said...

I Confirm : for a Toshiba A75, short j1 (used 2 needles for that) and it clears the BIOS password. I just tried it, worked like a charm.
Thanks to midragius, you saved my day !

Unknown said...

Where exactly is the J1 jumper?

Bopolissimus X Platypus said...

Hi Dante, as I noted above, I didn't take notes or pictures of what I was doing, and the scribd file I referenced has since been removed.

there's a link to the J1 jumper at:

http://best-of-electronics.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-delete-system-password-on.html

However, I did *not* reference that image when I did this work *long* ago, so I can't vouch for correctness. Search for more corroboration before shorting that.