Friday, September 24, 2010

yahoo.com -- sucking

Yahoo.com is seriously sucking for me right now. It's not a yahoo-wide problem. It affects me and maybe some small percentage of other yahoo users.

I can log in to mail.yahoo.com. signing in to www.yahoo.com doesn't work. After the login, I get redirected back to the yahoo site but I'm still not logged in.

Pidgin can't auth to yahoo when I'm connecting from New Zealand. However, if I use a socks proxy in the Philippines, I *can* login to pidgin.

I thought maybe the email reading issue were an NZ issue. It isn't though. Via the socks proxy in the Philippines I connected to us.yahoo.com and modified my setup so that I wouldn't be auto-redirected to the NZ yahoo pages. that works when I'm connected via proxy (I see the US yahoo page). However when I browse to yahoo from NZ, I still get redirected to Xtra. That's a stupidity (although I think not on Xtra's side, it's a yahoo bogosity).

When I read my email via the socks proxy, the URL indicates that I'm going to a U.S. server, but I receive the same (well, very similar) error message:

"Sorry for the inconvenience.
You've stumbled upon an unexpected, temporary problem. Performing your action again in a few moments will likely resolve the problem completely. If not, we suggest you try re-launching Yahoo! Mail.
If the problem persists, feel free to contact Customer Care about Error Code 1.

Thanks,
The Yahoo! Mail Team".

The only difference I can see between that and the error message when I surf from new zealand (no socks proxy) is that the NZ page says "the Yahoo!Xtra Mail team".

So it's a yahoo issue, not an NZ issue.

I realized, after seeing that error often enough that gmail was pulling yahoo email and that I had changed my yahoo password recently. I changed gmail's yahoo password but yahoo is still whining. I'm guessing that yahoo got confused because there were so many bad password logins from gmail (and from a continent different from what I had told yahoo was my location). I do wonder though how that is supposed to get resolved. Will the error clear itself out eventually? Will it clear itself out before I completely give up on yahoo (abandoning friends who only know my yahoo address and whom I can't ask to change their addresses for me since, well, I can't get into my contacts list either).

*dumbasses*

No comments: