Saturday, November 06, 2010

Why You should be using virtualisation

Why You should be using virtualisation resonates with me since, even though I run Ubuntu (a debian based linux) and the staging and production servers are Debian, there are still compatibility issues (if only that debian packages move slowly so the Ubuntu packages are much newer than on the deployment servers).

Fortunately, since I only work on Linux servers, I can run vservers, even different versions of Debian [but using the same vserver kernel as the host]. That's a lot less memory intensive than running full virtualization environments (my preference is VirtualBox, but that's just because I haven't gotten around to testing Xen. I may test LXC on my home computers, but I'll stick with Vservers on my work dev machine since I already have a procedure for building the classes of vservers that we use at work.

No comments: