Saturday, May 14, 2011

Aaahh, tethering finally working on Globe telecom

Name: MyGlobe Inet
APN: http.globe.com.ph
MCC: 515
MNC: 02
AUTH: PAP or CHAP

Leave all other settings alone.

Globe firewalls DNS.  Only DNS requests to Globe's own servers will work.  If tethering, the default DNS server (the android handset) doesn't work.  Need to edit /etc/resolv.conf and set nameservers there.

The SetDNS app helps with that (tells you what your DHCP DNS settings are).  Google gives some other Globe DNS servers too, but they don't work.  In case the DNS server IP addresses change (they're not meant to be hardcoded anyway, being provided by DHCP instead), then setDNS is the first thing to look (there are also a bunch of other IP settings viewers on the app market, I chose SetDNS since I was testing and wanted to be able to set the DNS servers *in* android (not just the tethering laptop).

I think 2degrees must also have the same DNS firewalling behavior (I had the same issue when testing at the airport in Wellington, tethering worked, I could ping remote hosts by IP address, but I couldn't resolve DNS).

Update:

Weird situation in the morning.   I'm down to PHP 1.00 of load.  Packets go out, and even ping (tethered) works with replies arriving.  However, reply packets don't come back.  So DNS works, ping [8.8.8.8] works (including replies) but http and google talk don't work.  I *think* yahoo messenger works though.  Possibly it's TCP that's blocked but UDP is allowed through?

Ah, I just reloaded and now have unlimited broadband for the day.  I was surprised when I lost all my load leaving me with PHP 1.00.  Apparently, when the broadband plan expires, I start to get charged at PHP 5 for every 15 minutes (no auto-reload).  The lack of auto-reload is fine, but I got no notification of the expiry and so the trickle deduction of load is very surprising (and pauperizing).   Also, there's some indication that internet only works while there is at least PHP 5.00 of load.  That's just bogus.  If there's no more load, just stop providing service.  Don't set an artificial level of required load below which, for no good reason, you suddenly stop providing service.

3 comments:

nKae said...

Hi, i want to tether my Motorola Defy+ on my laptop. I can already access the internet thru my phone but my laptop can't (either usb or wifi). The laptop connection status says it is connected to a network (my phone) but it has not internet connection. I am a globe prepaid user. Pls help. thanks!

Bopolissimus X Platypus said...

Something to try, use SetDNS and manually set the DNS server in your computer:

When I'd wifi tether the phone it would give me an IP address via DHCP (e.g., 192.168.43.143) and (also via DHCP) it would give me itself as the DNS server (192.168.43.1 or similar).

That would work for other handsets using the wifi but not my linux computer (I think it worked on my brother-in-law's windows XP computer but not on a Win7 laptop I used at another time).

What I had to do was run the SetDNS app on the handset (I'd previously installed it because other telcos I've used had the same problem, they block access to external DNS servers, probably because of DNS->TCP tunnelling).

SetDNS tells you what DNS server the telco uses. You can then set the DNS server in your computer (get your IP address via DHCP but manually set the DNS server to use to the one that your telco uses).

good luck.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this...
at last i can tether :-)