Saturday, November 12, 2005

IVRS must die

I see that Edong (he also has a "Ka", but I'm not on that side of the political spectrum) has a post on IVRS (interactive voice response system.

IVRS was all the rage in the US when I was there. It saved labor cost because the operator could be partly replaced by a machine voice. Instead of hiring 2 or 3 operators, a company could keep one receptionist/operator and fire the rest.

I can't stand IVRS though. Whenever I hear automated voice prompts I immediately hang up.

It's not the impersonality of it. I work with computers, I sort of like impersonal. What I can't stand about IVRS is the inefficiency of it, and the fact that, if it's to be used efficiently (memorize the call tree and type the digits in directly instead of waiting to hear the prompts), *I*, the customer, have to expend extra effort to remember. I have enough trouble memorizing my name, some days. I don't need to buy from a company that forces me to either waste my time listening to a ridiculously long call tree. And even if I wanted to memorize the direct route to where I want to go, no company I'm buying from is important enough to spend that much memory real estate on. Even if I had that real estate to spare. Any company that tries to communicate with me through IVRS is (1) going to lose a sail, (2) going to earn a rant, either in person, when I get to talk to someone in management, and/or a blog entry, for being more concerned with cost than customer experience. If they want to save cost, let them relocate their call center to the Visayas or Mindanao, salaries there are 1/2 to 1/3 what they are in Metro Manila and it'll help the economy and decongest the capital.

Which reminds me, is it still Metro Manila or did that go out with the Marcoses? No one mentions the Metro much anymore. Although there's still that extra M in MMDA.

1 comment:

Krakista said...

Americans respond to answering machines and IVRS. These machines have been around for more than 2 decades. It's a cultural thing, it works for them. Pinoys tend not to respond to machines.