Tuesday, November 22, 2005

swsusp very useful

I was on a long bus trip recently and I decided to see if the new laptop supported swsusp. I had given up on swsusp on a previous laptop (also a Winbook, but a slightly older one, since sold) because it didn't work there. It would try to save and then would fail on trying to halt mysql. Or if i stopped myself myself, it would try to save, and then on restore it would try to save again (instead of restoring), and then give up and reboot (or something, it was confusing, which is why the account above is a mess).

I'm very happy that it now works on the new laptop though. I've got three batteries for the laptop. They only last around 45 minutes at the full 1.7Ghz AMD speed (something like 2300-2400+ intel equivalent, i think), but in combination with cpufreq and setting the speed to the slowest CPU frequency available (around 600Mhz AMD, so maybe around 800+ intel equivalent?), the individual batteries last around 1.5-1.7 hours.

But I didn't want to shutdown and swap batteries since starting up takes some time and all of that time is at 1.7Ghz, eating battery life. Swsusp is a lifesaver since, when battery gets low and the laptop starts beeping, i just run a script that tells the laptop to suspend. It writes its status to swap. The laptop turns off. I swap batteries. And when I turn the laptop on it restores from swap, switches to 600+Mhz automatically and gets back to X in far less time than it takes to boot.

I think I'm going to swsusp all the time now, even when not trying to save battery, just because it starts up so much faster when restoring.

No comments: