Saturday, December 17, 2005

Bloglines and Google Reader

I looked at bloglines last night, partly because of a post here, or on a mailing list about how it's so much easier to use than google reader. too lazy to put links there.

I think I *will* be switching to bloglines. It does seem much faster than reader (although that might just be because I've got digg in reader and there are a heck of a lot of entries in there for reader to load). It's also got subfolders, feeds are subfolders on the left (useful for ignoring digg until i've got enough time to waste, on reader everything is in the same place and digg overshadows everything), and it's got "Mark all read" (which I sometimes need to resort to if I've been away for a few days and there's no hope of reading everything that digg has found).

There's probably some way to filter things in digg (which is still too useful to drop, despite the inconvenience of having so much there), but I don't see how to do it in reader yet. I thought maybe digg would have a feature where the RSS feed is identified per user, so that my preferences in digg (what I want to see, which is not everything) would be what I'd see in my RSS reader, but even if there were a per user RSS feed, there doesn't seem to be any way to have preferences in digg similar to preferences in slashdot, where I'd only see articles in categories I'm interested in.

So it's bloglines I'll be using for now. When reader catches up and gets faster, I'll look at it again.

No comments: