Sunday, December 25, 2005

Suse (even opensuse) on Vmware

I use Mandriva as my preferred distribution. The *drak* stuff isn't that big a deal for me, I prefer the command line, usually, and it still isn't easy to add an ethernet interface alias via drakconf (actually, I don't think I see how to do it at all, although you can do it with webmin). I'm *really* in love with the urpmi stuff though (and mainly the command line urpmi, although rpmdrake is very good too).

I thought I'd try suse though, either the evaluation version, or opensuse. But I can't afford to overwrite my laptop since I don't want to have to reconfigure everything (openvpn to two different networks, etc). So I thought I'd try it with vmware. When I downloaded the DVD ISO, it wouldn't work in vmware. It kept giving some sort of boot error. I thought maybe the DVD download was corrupted so I downloaded again, same problem. Next I downloaded the CDs. Same problem. It looks like opensuse (or the suse evaluation version) just won't install in vmware. That's a shame, since I'm certainly not going to switch to it if I can't test drive it, and I just don't have a spare computer to test drive it on. Ah well.

No comments: