Saturday, August 19, 2006

Jerry Pournelle's Byte column -- moved

It's too bad that Jerry Pournelle's contract with byte was not renewed. I've always enjoyed his columns (well, back when I could read them in dead-tree byte, and for a while, on free online byte). It's good to see that he's keeping the format though, and maintaining the site for himself at Chaos Manor Reviews.

I'd like to be able to subscribe, but that's not possible (the subscription is not inconsequential in the third world, even at my pretty good IT salary). I don't have a credit card, and even if I did, I'm not sure the transaction would be honored. Philippine credit card transactions are tricky.

I do hope that he keeps enough subscribers to make maintaining the whole chaos manor system worth his while. There are always good discussions there. I don't go there as often as I used to (due to Digg and Reddit, but it's always educational to swing by every few weeks to see what's being discussed.

No comments: