Saturday, December 22, 2007

Not about Windows+HP

So a bug in HP's software update, ahh, software for HP laptops allows malware to brick windows. It's not like I care. We recently bought an HP Pavilion for my wife and I installed Kubuntu on it. So we're safe from this sort of stupidity. It was pretty cool. We kept the (legal) windows on it for possible future use (we never actually use it, I always just nuke the windows partition and use it for extra storage, but I never learn). I had to uninstall a whole bunch of useless programs that come pre-installed with the laptop though. And, strangely enough, the time to uninstall those programs was LONGER than the time to resize the partition and install Kubuntu in the newly available free space.

I didn't backup the windows partition since I didn't really care if it got corrupted. The Kubuntu installer handled the partition resizing perfectly though. Windows still boots and Kubuntu works perfectly. I didn't need to configure anything (although, frankly I haven't tried out the firewire port yet, since I don't have any firewire devices :-), everything just worked.

If windows users keep getting victimized by malware like this (that exploits bugs in legitimate software) or just generally by malware (illegal downloading of programs that have viruses and such in them), well, I think those windows users should be punished continuously (just by continuing to use their windows boxen and living with the pain and malware that comes with that) until they learn better. Or not, I don't particularly care.

No comments: