Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Woohoo!

I've had an HP laptop burning a hole in my bedroom floor for a month or so. My brother sends laptops over from the U.S. and I try to sell them for him. Sol and I (mainly I) wanted this laptop for ourselves though. I've been trying to sell my laptop for cheap (PHP 22K) so I could get the HP. That didn't go over very well (since my laptop *definitely* looks used, although it's still a perfectly good laptop). So I gave up on trying to sell mine and switched to trying to sell my wife's IBM thinkpad. This is a single core Pentium M (1.7Ghz) with 1GB of RAM and a DVD writer. It's not very old, but it's certainly not new either (it's an actual *IBM*, not Lenovo).

It was QSR's Christmas lunch last Sunday and I offered the thinkpad to one of the QSR longtimers. She was happy to grab the thinkpad at the special pricing :-). In celebration I'll be installing Ubuntu on the HP tonight. The HP is widescreen, has altec lansing speakers, and has a very nice remote control for controlling DVDs and music player. It's too bad that we won't be able to use the remote once it's Ubuntu. Ah well, maybe we'll keep Windows on a very small partition and dual boot just for viewing DVDs and playing music. Oh yeah, I'd have had Ubuntu installed by now, but I realized that I didn't have a copy of Gutsy Kubuntu (my wife prefers KDE). So I downloaded via torrent. The CD is written, but now I have to get my donkey to work, so the Ubuntu installfest will have to wait til I get home.

It'd be nice for *me* to use the HP laptop. I could probably use the 2 cores in there. But it's lighter than *my* laptop, so I'll stick with my single core 1.5Ghz CPU and Sol can enjoy the lighter weight of the HP :-). I'll put those CPUs through their paces at night though :-), mainly re-encoding Timmy videos so that they're smaller.

No comments: