Saturday, October 31, 2009

No audio? Is skype running?

I was looking at newly uploaded (from camera) videos of Timmy and John and I was confused because the videos were weird:


      Totem said they where *playing*, but the progress bar wasn't moving and there was neither sound nor video.

      The time counter (shows how many seconds/minutes into the video/song you're in) wasn't moving.

      I thought it was something wrong with the newly mangled videos (made smaller via ffmpeg) so I tried some MP3s. Same symptoms as for the videos.



So I looked around at the modules, and at dmesg. Everything looked good. Until I moved my mouse to the bottom of the screen and the hidden status panel popped up. Skype was running. Apparently, on this machine, it takes over the sound card.

No comments: