Friday, June 25, 2010

Tonido kernel with NAT (and no su to non-root user)

My "could not su to non-root user" problem with building a kernel with NAT support on the tonidoplug is solved.

On the tonido support forums (requires login, but I'm posting the link here anyway) aleinss helpfully pointed at Logging into tonido as a non root user.

Apparently, with 2.6.31 kernels and later, /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr needs to be 32768 (instead of the previous 65536).

I tested it with sudo echo "32768" > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr but that didn't work. Reboot required, I guess. The solution was to edit /etc/sysctl.d/10-process-security.conf and edit the vm.mmap_min_addr line to say

vm.mmap_min_addr = 32768


Many thanks to aleinss for pointing that out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, I've been going nuts trying to figure out whats wrong with my TonidoPlug - thanks to this I can now log in as something other than "root", sudo/su work, AND even my cgi-bin/ contents suddenly are functional.

Kim said...

Yes, thanks again for posting the answer. I had exactly the same problem. Only two years later on a new kernel on a different plug (Sheevaplug)