Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Toshiba Satellite A75 temperature control -- Maybe

I've had a problem forever with the Toshiba Satellite A75. It's got a 3.3Ghz CPU in there but I could only ever run it at one of the two lowest speeds (1.8GHz, 2.1Ghz) because any faster (even with ondemand having me run mostly at 1.8Ghz) if the CPU ever ran too long at high speeds the kernel wouldn't notice and it couldn't speed the fans up.

The whole machine is old too, so I wouldn't be surprised if the fans they're just not working too well anymore.

I just found the omnibook kernel module project though. And after

git clone, make 
sudo make install
sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=12


It loads correctly and cat /proc/omnibook temperature says 56C. And once or twice I heard the fans spin up faster (they're on all the time these days). So I'm testing (by setting my maximum CPU speed at 3.3Ghz, but still ondemand).

If the machine is stable this way, I'll scale down to 2.4Ghz or a bit higher maybe. It'll be good to be able to do useful things at a reasonable speed again on this machine. 1.8Ghz was getting so old :-).

No comments: