Sunday, January 29, 2006

dar - for multi-volume tar-like backups

I just found DAR, Disk ARchive a backup program for linux (and windows and other OSs too, it looks like) that can do slices (i.e., produce multiple files which can fit on whatever removeable media you use). There have been other, similar programs, but this is the first one that I cared enough to actually try to get working :-). Apart from old programs that I wrote myself (mostly for fun, I never actually used them for much) that cut files apart and pasted them back together.

dar -c w2k3 -vv -s 795M -R /[path_to_directory_to_backup]/

there are options for including and excluding files and patterns, etc.

It does differential backups too. Huh, it's time to buy that external DBD-Writer :-). Or just a whole bunch of CD-RWs. I never did buy a DBD-Writer because of the expense (need to use for laptop, and external drives are expensive) and because I don't download movies. Now that I'm playing with lots of vmplayer images though, and also now that my digicam archives are getting ridiculously large, it's time to seriously think about removeable backup (and not just backup to the 40G USB HD).

No comments: