Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Edgy working with my winbook V220

I've got a Winbook V220 desktop replacement laptop (I'm using it now)
and <a
href="http://monotremetech.blogspot.com/2006/11/ubuntu-toshiba-mousepad-fun.html">Dapper wouldn't install on it</a>. I just got it back from some repair work and I'd forgotten that ubuntu won't install on it. I'd always run Mandriva on it because that installed, and when I decided to switch to ubuntu (mainly for the better [for me] speed of development and updates) Dapper wouldn't install.

I've since tried edgy and *that* installs. So I've switched to ubuntu
Edgy on this laptop. I could have stayed with Mandriva, but I didn't
have the DVD (I've got the free DVD now though) and I'm getting used to
ubuntu.

The internal USB wifi device still doesn't work. I'm giving up on that.
Haven't gotten around to touring gilmore though to see if the Edimax USB
wifi device that Holden Hao suggested will work with Edgy <strong>with
no modifications or binary drivers</strong>

Edgy has marginally better detection. At least now it sees the USB
device and even says that it's an "Avast". It still doesn't work though.
If I can find the install CD I'm going to try ndiswrapper. I think I'll
buy another device though before I go with ndiswrapper. And it doesn't
have to be USB. PCMCIA is fine, although I think generally USB devices
are less expensive, which is why I'm looking at those first.

No comments: