Friday, April 06, 2007

Advice for young programmers

Jeremy Allison has good advice to himself, if he could travel back in time.


  • If it's not what you love, don't do it

  • Learn the architecture of the machine

  • Reputation is important

  • Proprietary environments are a trap

  • The network really *is* the computer

  • The community is more important than your employer



On an unrelated note, and a bit late for April 1, I was reading about how J Striegel fails the Turing Test. That's amusing in itself, but I was fantasizing about modifying gaim so that whenever it sees "cutie" or "sexy" it replaces the words with "moron" or similar. After all, what kind of people have cutie or sexy in their logins? This would be for my own amusement only. Hmmm, might be interesting to modify evolution the same way. If I receive mail from anyone with cutie or sexy in their email address, it's not like I'd actually want to reply to them, after all. And if I did, it would be a good thing if my mailer were to make any such attempts fail anyway.

No comments: