Thursday, April 12, 2007

gmailfs slow to connect - fix

I installed gmailfs using apt-get (on my Ubuntu Edgy laptop) because I thought it'd be interesting to see what file format gmail stores emails in. And I thought I'd download all my spam too, to see if my bogofilter classifies them correctly, and for those that it doesn't, train bogofilter with.

I thought there was something wrogn because it just wasn't mounting. A look at gmailfs.log shows:

04/12/07 19:28:15 ERROR gmailfs did not connect in less than 12 seconds, aborting...
04/12/07 19:28:15 WARNING Child process 24621 received SIGHUP, exiting...
04/12/07 19:28:15 INFO Successfully reaped child 24621

Clearly it was timing out. I tried a few more times and finally edited /usr/bin/mount.gmailfs. There's a define right there for the GMAILFS_MOUNTING_MAX_DELAY so I just set that to something higher (64, from the default of 12). Running mount.gmailfs under time shows that it's taking around 30s to complete.

Ah, except the filesystem looks empty. I can't see my email there. Copying files there makes email appear in my gmail Inbox, but I can't get my spam. Ah well. It's still cool, but I'm not sure I can see what use it's going to be to me :).

No comments: