Tuesday, February 07, 2006

cpufreq on an AMD 2400+ - strange

I rebuilt my 2.6.12-15mdk kernel, with a Pentium III/Celeron/Coppermine ... CPU processor family because when I built it with either AMD K6 or K7, it was just not showing the right CPU frequencies to choose from in cpufreq.

Or maybe it was, but I didn't like the choices as they all seemed too high.

cat /proc/cpuinfo says (among other, snipped, things):

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 2400+
stepping : 0

Maybe there's a problem with the detection of the CPU frequencies. Or maybe the frequencies it shows are right (unlikely, since the lowest frequence is around 1.3Ghz or so, and the highest is much higher than 2.4Ghz, even though the CPU only goes to around 1.7Ghz in actual clocks.

Anyway, no big deal. I've got a working kernel, it does swsusp, it does cpufreq, it does most of what I need. The only thing I'd really like now would be if I could get the damn ALSA sound working. When I load the ALSA sound driver for this VIA82cxxx, I get no sound, and when I load the OSS driver I can't change the volume in kmix. I can get around that by using headphones with volume control, but I just want the ALSA sound driver to work right :-).

I *did* get it working at some point, or maybe that was with the Mandriva 2005 kernel, 2.6.12 something.

Hmmm, might be time to build a generic kernel now.

No comments: