Friday, February 17, 2006

First rule of debugging

My wife and I came home from Tagaytay and there was no internet. The cable modem had the receive light blinking and the send and online lights off. OK, I had to get to work and didn't care enough to fix it right then (mistake, Sol wanted to work at home, but it's a short walk to work, so no huge deal). When I got home, the cable modem was still down. I texted the destiny cable help line and went to bed. In the morning, same thing.

I texted destiny again and they called me (but I didn't answer since my phone was on silent+vibrate).

And then I looked at the cable modem and realized that the cable wasn't connected. In removing the laptop power cable for the trip to Tagaytay, I had moved the cable enough that it disconnected from the modem.

I had violated the first rule of debugging, it's *MY* bug. Almost all bugs are my bug. First thing to do is check if I did something wrogn before reporting to anyone else that they have a problem with their system.

No big deal, but useful to be reminded.

No comments: