Sunday, June 18, 2006

byte.com's incredibly bad interface

So I pointed out that byte.com is now free. That's great. A few days after that post though, I'm seeing the downside. That web site has an incredibly bad interface, at least with respect to logins and logouts.

1. There is no logout button or link. or even any indication, as far as I can tell
that one *is* logged in or logged out.

2. There is no login form either. There's a form to subscribe to the free
newsletter, but no login form.

So I guess the only way to login is to click on a protected article (any article, really, and hope that it's protected, since i'm able to view some articles but not others and I sure can't tell why there's a distinction except maybe age of the article) and if it brings me to a page that says it's protected and I should login, then to login.

That's what happened when I first tried it out for free a few days ago. It didn't even ask for registration details, just wanted an email address and then it let me in. Then it emailed me with my login and (random) password.

That's all great so far. Except now, since it won't let me logout, I keep getting a page that says I should register. Except I've *already* registered. I think maybe the authentication credentials are wrong (after all, it just let me in that first time without me having to first check my email, maybe it didn't insert my randomly generated password in my session yet). But now I can't find out where to logout so I can login properly.

I *could* throw away all my cookies and saved passwords, but I'm not about to do that for one free site that has bugs in its authentication system.

Of course, though, I might be unfair here. Maybe the 1 year old article I'm trying to read is just protected and I need to pay for it (similar to how the NYTimes has things setup, and why I never go to the NYTimes site anymore, nor even link to it), but the page it brings me to sure doesn't seem to say that. It won't even let me login, instead asking me to register again! But then remembering who I am and pre-filling the form with information I already posted before (but strangely enough, with the wrong country, I remember registering as being from the Philippines but it thinks I'm in Anguilla, which might be a firefox bug since I often register as being from Anguilla to other sites, e.g., the Washington Post).

So, OK, maybe I'm just confused. But if that's the case, they still need to fix their site. If they can get me confused, I've got to wonder what their paying customers think of the ease of use of that site.

No comments: