Thursday, June 15, 2006

A useful inconvenience

I have several email addresses and one of them I use for subscribing to mailing lists. I never use gmail for reading mailing lists (instead i download it via fetchmail and use evolution to check the local POP3 server). This is mainly because I just don't have the time to monitor mailing lists anymore.

Evolution uses my default email address for sending mail out (unless I change the From address explicitly). That isn't the same as my mailing lists address. That's inconvenient, since often I'll send out a reply to a list post and it'll bounce back because I forgot to change the From address.

I find though, that the inconvenience is useful. It's an additional brake on emails that I might not actually want to send out yet (they need editing, the tone is too strong, the tone is too weak, the point is missing, whatever). It's too bad though. Sometimes I'll write a long, informative, interesting (maybe) post, and then I'll delete it when it bounces back because it doesn't pass muster. But that's the nature of useless posts. They're a waste of time, created in the heat of the moment, starting as a rant and ending as a flame, or the other way around, moving from to whimper, or just wandering around, pointless and dumb. If they're a waste anyway, better not to pollute lists (and the impressionable) with them, or feeding the trolls.

No comments: