Thursday, June 15, 2006

evolution outbound filters and mangling the Sender

Related to my previous post, I'd always thought that it would be great if the Gnome Evolution email client were capable of mangling the Sender in the email based on user-specified conditions. If that were possible, then I'd be able to setup an outgoing filter so that if at least one of the recipients were those mailing lists then it would change the Sender to my mailing list address.

There would still be corner cases where that wouldn't work (but where an elaboration of it might work, e.g., instead of mangling the sender directly, it might create a new email with the sender being corrected, but leaving the original email intact).

I could probably do something like that with the "Pipe to Program" action, with some sed magic thrown in. But, no. It *is* a useful inconvenience and I'm too lazy to figure it out. Hehe, long ago when I was wishing for that feature, I already knew I'd be able to do it with Pipe to Program and sed. I was too lazy then too :-).

No comments: