Thursday, June 08, 2006

Creative Zen mp3 player and gnomad2

We got a Creative Zen Xtra MP3 Player as a gift from my brother. It was to be just my birthday gift, but it's so perfect for just now (sol is pregnant, for a bit she was on bed rest, very bored), and Sol's birthday is near enough to mine (which is still months away) that we thought it was the perfect gift for both of us for the rest of the year :-).

Unfortunately, the Zen doesn't look like just a USB external storage device, it uses some other protocol. I didn't want to be dual-booting into Windows (at some point I'm going to remove Windows from this laptop completely, I kept it around for the Zen) everytime I need to move files onto the MP3 player or to modify playlists and such.

Fortunately, GNomad2 implements the MTP protocol and allows file copying and manipulation of playlists and such. It didn't work for me the first few times I tried it, but after a week of looking at it off-and-on, I finally got it working (devfs was the charm). It might be possible to run it without devfs, but the RPM I installed it with didn't seem to have the nomad.usermap file on it, so I just boot into a devfs capable kernel when I need to copy files. And since I don't want to dualboot, well, I just always boot into a devfs capable kernel these days :-).

Things to remember, and the point of this post: DEVFS.
Also: less laziness and maybe building from source and actually reading the documentation might make DEVFS unnecessary. Unfortunately, the laziness is systemic.

No comments: