Monday, February 05, 2007

Downloading Kubuntu and an accidental rant

I'm downloading Kubuntu for installation on my wife's laptop. It's coming down the wire at 50 kbytes/second and will complete in around 4 hours. That's very cool. I'm supposed to get 384 kbps on this pldt mydsl link, but when the link is fast I'm getting close to 512kbps. That's very nice. I used to get better speeds with Destiny Cable Internet but that was also less stable. The PLDT download speeds are slower than Destiny at it's best, but it's very stable.

If I had Destiny internet where I live now, I'd probably go with that. Higher speeds much of the time, and much better technical support, and their higher bandwidth (I used to be able to get 1.5mbps, and sometimes even 2mpbs) comes at PLDT's 999 monthly cost. Since Destiny isn't available though, PLDT is a close second for line quality. I just hope I never have DSL link problems since I don't want to talk to PLDT's technical support people ever again.

The last time I talked to them, all I got was that they couldn't help me. It seems they have relatively limited scripts and can't talk to anyone who actually knows what they're doing. That's a reasonable position to maintain, certainly, and more profitable since there are more noobs out there. It's frustrating though that all I can do is hope I never need technical support.

No comments: