Saturday, February 17, 2007

Installing KDE

Ok, so Linus is ranting about Gnome again, and he's submitted patches.

I use gnome because I got tired of having to manually manage the menus and toolbar in icewm, and because it runs well enough even on my slow (but 640MB) desktop at work (it certainly runs very well on my fast and 1GB laptop).

I don't see the problems that Linus has with gnome. But then that's probably because, since I come from icewm, my requirements of a window manager/desktop environment are minimal. ESR was ranting at some point about printing being difficult too. I wouldn't know since I never print anything, ever.

I'm going to install kde as an alternate desktop on this Edgy laptop though. I'll do it for fun, and to see if I actually find anything good to use in kde. I installed kubuntu on my wife's laptop and I don't like how it works. But that's probably just because I just haven't worked with kde enough to figure out how to make it work how I want it to work (e.g., I like having multiple terminals instead of multiple tabs in one konsole window, and I can't find the "New Window" option in konsole).

I'll also install kde on my slow desktop at work and see if it's usable there. At one point I think I tried that and gave up because KDE was slow. But maybe I'm more patient now, or they might have shaken out the performance issues in KDE by now.

No comments: