Thursday, February 15, 2007

evolution slow -- maybe fixed

I had problems with my email for a week or so. I've been busy on other things though and couldn't pay attention enough to the email problem to figure out what the problem was.

I use Ximian/Novell Evolution. I looked at Mozilla Thunderbird and a few others, but I can't switch away from Evolution for now. The Search Folders are too useful and I can't work without them (e.g., I've got a big archive of pgsql-general mail, when I need to read only the unread ones [instead of going to the folder that has all of pgsql-general where there are so many read emails it's pretty much impossible to find the first unread one]) I just go to the Unread-Pgsql-General search folder.

Evolution got slow though, and when I would do a top -d 1 I would see that evolution-data-server was using all the CPU. I let that be for a few days since I didn't have any ideas. At one point, and because I could do it unattended, I installed the debug versions of evolution and evolution-data-server. I couldn't figure out how to use those though, and they didn't help, so I removed them.

I tried two more things and one, or the other, or both fixed the problem. I removed all the *.index* files (*.index and *.index.data) in the .evolution/mail/local directory (while evolution wasn't running). Starting evolution made it rebuild those indexes. I also turned off the automatic LDAP email address completion (which goes to my $DAYJOB's LDAP server over openvpn). Evolution is running very well with both of those off. I'll turn on the LDAP auto-completion later today to see if, by itself, that brings the problem back. If it doesn't, then I'll know that every once in a while evolution needs to have its indexes blown away.

No comments: